Friday, January 7, 2011

am i growing?

Might sound like a crazy question - am I growing? Well I am not getting any taller that is for sure:) I am gaining a few pounds but am I really growing where it matters and how would I know.

I know I am gaining or losing pounds because I get on a scale - the same scale - and I keep track of where I was, where I am and where I want to go. This is so simple it is almost like "um yea of course"

Lately I have learned that I want my kids to see how they have grown - not just physically but intellectually, emotionally and spiritually as well. The school they are attending now is really big on measuring student growth. I never understood how important this was until Noah was in first grade. We started to realize that school came easy for him - really easy for him. So he would go every morning and come home every evening for 180 days - and it felt like he did not leave with much more that he started with. Being as anylytical as I am I wanted data - yes data - show me he was growing - not just that he was doing fine.

Of course there are Istep tests - which show he is doing great - but is he growing?? Where is that information? (from what I understand we will start getting that information this year)

So this year they entered a new school and they use a MAP test from the NWEA -- it is reading and math taken 3 times a year on the computer - the test is individualized for each student - questions get harder as they get them right and easier as they get them wrong - until it sifts out right where they are at. Amazing - no longer is it about - "well yes he can accomplish the grade level skills" -- its about where is he now and where is he going - really!!

It blew me away - both kids have taken the test 2x now - they know their scores - and how much they should grow with each testing - they each have a data binder at school to see a measure of their growth. The school is taking responsibility to provide an environment for every child to grow - my kids are getting it - they like knowing where they are at and where they used to be -- they are learning that just because they are doing well they aren't expected to stop growing. (Noah still does not like school - but he is being challenged:)

We also found out that school is just as easy academically for Nina - and she loves having a tangible number to show her growth - she is getting it - just like she does when we measure her height and she grew 1/4 inch - she's excited. But most of all she realizes it would be much easier to just hang out and coast along - but that being challenged is the way to grow:)

ALL this to say - seriously I feel like I need data in or of my life to measure growth - It feels like I wake up every morning and go to bed every night and 365 days later - where am I ??

6 comments:

Michelle Wegner said...

I agree. I wish I could see from last year to this how much I have grown in my love for God and others, and how that plays out in my day to day life. I hope I wouldn't be disappointed in my results. :)

Kunmin said...

I don't believe in God and I think we have already come to the stage when we have discover the secret of the creation of universe by big bang by Jim Haupkins and so all those creation story is obsolete!

Anonymous said...

Well I think you are right. We should not be misled by all sorts of superstition and old beliefs. Beware of conmen around us.

Paris said...

Go to http://www.tripnchat.com/photo to share your recent trips photo with your friends.

Dr.YunTea said...

The substance is good~!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SPKZ78cIH8c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXKV78VERio&feature=player_detailpage

Dr.YunTea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.