Friday, June 20, 2008

life changing

Alright, last night was a life changing experience for me. Let's start by putting it into perspective:
  • I made my first communion at about age 7
  • I took communion every Sunday from age 7-18
  • That is approx. 600 times
  • We never used the "blood of Christ"
  • I came back to church at age 29
  • I have received communion once a month since then
  • That would be about 150 times

Last night I had my first opportunity to serve communion at GCC. The missions team that is going to India in December was chosen to serve and since Don is on that team I got to serve with him.

Wow is about all I can say - I will never ever look at communion in the same way again. I offered people "the body of Christ broken for you" - they looked into my eyes and accepted, they offered an "amen" or a "praise Jesus". One women towards the end even looked straight into my eyes and almost into my heart and said "thank you Jesus" - I almost started to cry - I was so overwhelmed with emotion! We even got to offer and share communion with some of our friends - like Rob, Michelle and Maddie :) Sharon and family, Wes and Amy and a few others. Talk about a personal, intimate moment.

God, I can't imagine sending your son to die on the cross for my sins - I am and will be forever thankful and grateful for your sacrifice. Thank you for the sacrament of communion to provide us the opportunity to focus directly on Jesus!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I still remember so clearly my emotions when I had the opportunity to serve communion. It was a very humbling experience for me. More so when you are serving someone you know quit well. Taking communion has never been the same since. My team 5 usher/greeter will be serving next month and am so looking forward to it.