Friday, March 7, 2008

hope

My father's viewing was last night and the funeral service is this morning. I have had the wonderful opportunity to see how Jesus has made a difference in my life, my husband's life and my 2 children's lives just by watching how each one handled and responded to the viewing.

My 5 year old daughter with a huge heart was amazing - she comforted her 10 year old cousin who was crying and crying, she used her words to tell her how it was ok to cry and be sad, she looked right into the casket and said "it does not look like grampy anymore because all the stuff we know about him is in heaven" she handled it with so much grace and compassion - and I believe the reason it was not scary is two fold -- she knows Jesus and is learning what the bible says about death and heaven and she has never ever seen anything creepy or horror-filled like some of the things in the movies I used to watch or related to halloween. She viewed it as a natural thing.

My 7 year old son wrote a note to his cousin letting her know that he hoped she felt better. He also said "it is not really like grampy is dead he is alive in heaven forever." He is the black and white practical one! However in the car on the way to the hotel he had his arm around me rubbing the back of my neck. :)

My husband sat with my grieving brother who had been my dad's roommate and caretaker over the last seven years. He listened and supported. He was Jesus in the flesh for my brother - he showed love and compassion and understanding in a way only he could. My husband lost his dad a long time ago and also spent time being his caretaker. My husband's experience was necessary for "such a time as this". He loved by listening! My brother is learning that my family's love for him is unconditional -- I am learning how to love unconditionally.

I truly truly believe that I can love someone to Jesus - I used to think I needed to confront them to Jesus - help them see their sin. You know what? Once people know that I love them unconditionally and Jesus loves them regardless of their sin then they can begin a relationship with him and the Holy Spirit can do the transformation work -- not me!

I can only say that I am thankful to my church for helping me grow to this point over the last year. I am amazed at my heart change and how it has had a huge impact on my relationships! I have grown so much closer to Jesus and know that this is only the beginning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God!
What a difference He makes in how we view life, and death.
May He also show Himself to be your Comforter.
pb

Anonymous said...

Our Lord is such a healer when we open ourselves up and let him in. It seems that your family was that for them. Glory be to God that even young or older we can be proud servants to him.
May he continue to comfort you in the times ahead. Jill