Sunday, March 16, 2008

old furnishings

Do you have any furniture that reminds you of your childhood? Are there pieces with stories attached? Well my family now has a piece of my childhood in the house -- actually a couple of pieces. Since we are the only ones with room to spare we inherited a dining room table, 8 chairs and a hutch that were made for my family of 7 about 30 years ago. There are so many things that happened around that table. We also now have my bedroom set from high school. I remember when my parents bought it -- they were quick to let me know it would become their guest room bedroom set after I moved out.

What about dishes? We inherited the family china and silverware -- boy if they could talk. I saw a picture from the fifties and that china was on the table. It has lasted over 50 years and was used often.

The other night I asked God to help me be a good steward of my belongings - the stuff he has enabled my family to acquire. Now I want to make sure I document the history in our belongings -- I want my kids to know the stories involved with the things my husband brought home from Texas. These were their grandparents and great grandparents possessions that were taken care of so well that they still have stories to tell.

Now I need to ask God to help me be the storyteller for the next generation.

No comments: