Saturday, April 26, 2008

truth in love

This is such a tough thing to understand - sometimes in my life I have wondered what is the difference between truth in love and ....... well I don't know what to call the other side of it - you know when someone one comes down on you for something you do and/or say and you walk away feeling angry, humiliated and/or rejected.

Lately God has been showing me the difference - at least in my life - and that is relationships! I have been learning a lot how God has wired me and I think wired us all. That we must first be in a relationship with someone in order to trust what they have to share with us. When we have built that relationship with them - we know their relationship with Jesus and so we know that they love us and must feel prompted by God to talk with us about something.

I learned very early in my walk with God that offense is a choice - one that satan wants me to make - and I refuse - I am not going to get offended by a person, their words or their actions. I know that my battle is not against flesh and blood.

Just a side note to say -- this is why church has people in all places on the journey - we don't automatically have our entire mind and behaviors renewed the minute we accept Jesus - it is a constant process - a long road - that we move toward the path Jesus wants us on. Are we going to fall???? YES!!! But I heard a phrase Thurday night during the message that I want to grasp onto -- I want to "fall forward" so it easier to get up and finish the race. I think this will happen if I am continually leaning in - leaning in to Jesus - leaning in to God's word..........

Okay to get back on track - at bible study on Thursday (MOTTTS) we were discussing children's literature. I am amazed at how God reveals things to me on each step of my journey - there are books out there that I will just not read to my kids. I would have 5 years ago but as I grow closer to Him -- He has given me a better ability to see the lies in some books and my kids know that we will just put them down and not finish them. They are learning that if God prompts me that a book is not right for my family and I am not obedient then it is a sin. I am trying to teach them that it is about my response to what I feel God is asking of me. They also know that it is about our family and not about someone elses family and whether they choose to read those same books! In any large group of people you will have some at the beginning of their journey and some miles down the road - and this does not always correlate to how long they have known Jesus. So I am trying to learn the art of developing relationships first and not always jumping right in with my convictions - of course unless God prompts me too :)

All this to say - my prayer is simply this: God, please help me to choose my words wisely and know that when I have a relationship with someone and they have a relationship with you -- you have given them the ability to accept the truth in love -- however help me to remember that it is your job to convict people and it is my job to love them like you do!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ah...you're learning a lesson even earlier than i...may i be open enough to be 'offended' only by what Christ Himself wants to show and teach me. Matthew 13:56-58 talks about some Pharisees taking offense at what Jesus told them, "And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith." oh, what we would miss if we take offense, instead of listening with our hearts!
pb