Wednesday, September 3, 2008

book review

So I have been thinking about my bible study that is about to begin in town - MOTTTS - and thought I would share a few thoughts with you.

This year we are beginning with the book "Creative Correction" by Lisa Welchel. I read this book about 3-4 years when someone mentioned it at MOTTTS and I found it at the library. I have always been meaning to buy my own copy so here will be my chance.

First, as with any book, I feel it is important to remember that it is written by a person, in this case a godly Christian women and mom. Second, I need to be able to discern what God wants me to get from the book. If I start out with a critical spirit I will probably only choose to become offended - If I start out open and willing I bet I might take away a few nuggets that will make me a better parent.

I have been learning over the past few years that it is really hard to believe that your child is born with a sin nature when they are babies and toddlers. I mean really is all that discipline stuff necessary - aren't people going overboard in their structure and ideas - there is NO WAY I would ever try that with my kid - I will never need anything like that - my kid would never......

Then my son turned 3 and I had a 1 year old daughter. I feel like God said to me "listen up now - I am giving you all these ideas for later - I know what you will need - pay close attention"

Would I ever go into battle with out any weapons? No, that would be crazy. Battle you say - raising kids is NOT a battle -- Well some days in this house it feels like it - yes, that is the right word - feels - it is just my flesh. However God says - my word is your weapon!

I am going to trust and rely on godly people and authors who share their wisdom with me so that I may have a complete arsenal as I am raising my kids. I want to be able to recognize the enemy and defeat him with God's word. I want to be able to show my kids that choices have consequences now before they are teens and adults. I don't want to be caught off guard and on empty.

I am so thankful for people like Lisa Welchel - she is willing to share all her methods for raising and disciplining her kids. Am I going to agree with everything she writes - of course not - will I debate over what she says - No - they are her weapons - what has worked in her household - and I am grateful she is willing to share even if it means that she might fight against man's approval sometimes.

Who knows when I might actually need what she has to offer - I want to face every book with godly discernment and an open mind - who knows it might actually make life a little easier:)

No comments: