Thursday, September 4, 2008

politics

I have no desire to engage in any political debate - or really discuss politics at all. However I heard a question on the radio that intrigued me.

"Do you think that VP candidate Palin is fit for the job since her 17 year old daughter is pregnant?"

The best response I heard was this: If we are going to say that she should be able to control her daughter and since she can't she will be no good in the white house - how do we respond to Eve? Is God not "good enough" because he could not control his daughter? He gave her everything she needed - all the love and instruction necessary - yet she "chose" to sin.

I am not saying I think Palin is right for the job - I have no idea at this point. But in my opinion if I am willing to make the decision around the choices her daughter has made I would be making a grave error.

Do I want to be held to that same standard? Do I want to be "judged" on who I am based on the behavior of my son or daughter?

My parents were awesome people - and all five of their kids - me included- made some pretty serious mistakes (read "sins") - not due to them - but due to our own selfish desires!

God, Please help me refrain from being judgemental - help me love people first and provide them with all the grace and mercy necessary for them to see you in the midst of whatever comes their way. In Jesus' name Amen!

4 comments:

Renee Crabtree said...

You've taken what I've been trying to verbalize exactly out of my head. Thank you for wrapping it around God. My rambling words can finally find a foundation.

J-La-Sta said...

Wow Caryn! Very well stated..and from the heart too, of course! :) You rock!

Anonymous said...

uh, yeah, and my kids bite too. Well, at least one of them still does. The other ones can be pretty bad at times. :)

darcy said...

well said, Caryn!!!