Tuesday, January 1, 2008

day 1

It has finally arrived - the first day of this great journey to read through the bible -- I have been looking forward to it with great anticipation. As with any new venture it can be exciting at the start - at this point I pray for all of us stepping out on this journey that we would continue even when the feelings of newness wear off and that we would realize that God's word in an of itself is exciting and can reach us right where we are at -- even when we don't feel like taking the time out to read!

Gen 1:1-2:25 Matt 1:1-2:12 Psalm 1:1-6 Proverbs 1:1-6

  • As I was reading I couldn't help but be stuck by Gen 2:21 -- when God created a helper just right for man. Am I just right for my husband? I believe we were chosen by God to be together and be married - however do I continue to be just right for him? I know that my choices with my mouth and my actions have a direct impact on the quality of our marriage and family! I pray that God continues to make us "just right" for our husbands - that we would be a "helper" at the truest definition of the word!
  • Then Matthew 1:17 where it talks about the 42 generations from Abraham to Jesus -- my goodness I can't even imagine the impact my choices will make on one generation never mind 42!
  • Psalm 1:2,3 -- wow what a desire of my heart -- to delight in God's law - meditate on it day and night - to bear fruit - have my leaves never wither and prosper in all I do! That is incredible!
  • And finally just to remember the purpose of proverbs - to teach us wisdom and discipline - to help us to do what is right, just and fair!


I am excited to take this journey and humbled that I have not done so this far in my walk - I am not doing it out of duty I am doing it out of desire -- a desire to take my next step toward Jesus!

2 comments:

Jill said...

I am so excited to read thru the bible in a year. I have never done this before, I more look up what I am searching for in the bible then letting it tell me what I need. That is a battle that I have in my personal life, too. Most would call me an organizational person which I am, but more with the things that you can touch and put in place than the things that you have to put in place mentally.
I so want to succeed with this commitment of reading the bible in a year and pray daily that I will be drawn to the passages that I need to draw my walk with him stronger.

Taylor Girls said...

i too am ecstatic about this 'reading through the bible' thing. loving this blog too! great idea caryn! love you. thanks for the challenge. i was struck by what you said about being humbled that you have never read thru the whole bible til now. same here. have a great sunday!
jen