Wednesday, January 9, 2008

day 5,6,7,8

So how is everyone doing? Anyone else completely blown away by some of the stuff they are reading? little details/big concepts!

  • Matthew 5:19b ...but anyone who obeys God's laws and teaches them will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven. This is a tall order for me -- what about for you? I am trying to remember that I don't need to try harder each day -- I need to ask God for his help more everyday!!!!
  • Psalm 5:3 -- Listen to my voice in the morning Lord. Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly. Well another tall order -- I barely roll out of bed to get my son breakfast and ready for school -- this is definitely a pattern that could use changing. I said I wanted to read books that would grow me this year -- what was I thinking -- I was already choosing to do this -- boy I am feeling stretched right now and it is only the beginning. So is it read the bible in a year and then take a year off to consider all that was brought up? Kind of like a 2 year plan??
  • Genesis 13:8-9 Lord may I have the desire to be more like Abram in the way he handles Lot by offering him his choice of land and taking what was left! How can I not know that God will bless me immensly if I follow this principle -- he will give me more (figuratively) than what I would have if I chose first and gave others the leftovers. This is definitely NOT what the world teaches!!!!!
  • Matthew 5:47 If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. God totally got right in the middle of me while I was in a conflict yesterday! My kids were with me and it was with a medical professional. All I have to say is wow I am thankful for Jesus because without him I would have screamed, yelled, used a few nasty words and probably slammed the door -- and later would have wrote a letter about the incident and sent it to the governing board. However -- due to Jesus and the Holy Spirit's screams in my head and heart -- I kept smiling and spoke overly nice and continued to try to clarify the issue. When we left I explained to the kids we would not be returning and that we would be choosing another "place" to go. I also asked if I spoke in a mean voice -- they said "no", I asked if I called him mean names - first they laughed and then said "no", I asked if I kicked the desk and slammed the door -- again they giggled and said "no" . I kindly explained that I - me, me me, wanted to do all those things however God did not want me to! So I had this great conversation with him in my head the whole time and it went like this -- Oh please help me to be kind -- am I smiling? O Lord just help me to make it through the next 5 minutes, Okay I get it-- you don't want us to come back here, I am sorry I didn't listen in October I thought I was just being nice and giving him a second chance. Lord help me not to lose my cool in front of the kids! Wow it felt like I was dealing with an enemy -- and yes I know he is not my enemy but boy it felt like it -- and it took every ounce of everything God has ever wanted to do in me for me to do it his way! And you know what I got from it all ( from obedience)-- NO REGRETS! What some of you may or may not know is that my mouth has, in the past, gotten me into trouble - o really some of you say in jest -- however what I have learned is that since I began a relationship with Christ it is not necessarily my mouth that gets me into trouble -- it is the way satan uses my mouth to condemn me -- I end up giving him such a strong foothold in this area and I get paralyzed by it -- I review and review and review conversations -- I regret things I have said and I stew over them and satan keeps bringing them back for me to revisit. Honestly I don't believe my mouth is that much of a problem since I gave my heart over to God -- but because I actively chose God - in the moment not as an afterthought -- I was blessed with the peace that comes from HIM and him alone. What an awesome feeling and though it feels strange I know it is supposed to be the norm when I am living according to his purpose. Can I do it again? I am not certain -- however I know that God can!
  • Proverbs 1:33 Fools are destroyed by their own complacency. But all who listen to me will live in peace, untroubled by fear and harm. CONFIRMATON :)
  • Genesis 18:14 Is anything too hard for the Lord? Why oh why do I continually think I can handle it without consulting him?? Do you?
  • Genesis 18:27 - 33 Where did I get the idea that we are not supposed to ask detailed, fact finding questions ever? I was so suprised by the fact that Abraham asked over and over again each time getting more detailed and God never said -- "alright already - give it up and trust me"
  • Matthew 6:34 - So don't worry about tomoorow for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today. Never has there been a truer statement or a better way to look at each day . I need this verse committed to memory!
  • Matthew 6:25 - 7:14 -- There is so so so so so much in this I could barely digest it all!
  • Proverbs 2:7? He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest.

2 comments:

Don said...

i just wanna say... "look everyone, THAT'S MY WIFE!" :)

caryn said...

you are so kind -- and maybe a little biased too! I love you!