Sunday, February 3, 2008

first impressions

WOW - yea that's what I said - WOW! I just finished another book -- FIRST IMPRESSIONS - creating wow experiences in your church - by Mark L. Waltz. All I can say is WOW. It is such a thorough book and covers so many areas of guest services. I figured since I started serving in December as a check in facilitator this book would be a way for me to personally connect with the vision of Granger and personally align with how they approach things.

I have had the opportunity to be a "guest" at Granger a few times before becoming a member. The first time was a few years ago -- maybe 4 -- before they completed the current auditorium. Since we had never been before and had a child with food allergies I believe I called first to get some information. I remember feeling comfortable and decided it would work. We met a handful of others and proceeded to put our children into their rooms downstairs. We happen to be there on a night that most women were gone and men were staffing the rooms -- we filled out our sons name tag and asked about snacks, explaining he had severe food allergies - they said yes they were having pretzels - I asked if I could look at the bag they said sure - they brought the bag which was clear plastic and I said is it okay if you feed him this small bag of pretzels we brought instead since there is no label on the bag -- he said sure.

Now this exchange sounds simple enough however I was flabbergasted - all they were concerned with was me and my child -- was I comfortable and was he - I never felt like I was a bother they were genuine and kind - it struck a chord in me and I have never forgot it!

Move forward to April of 2007 - My family decided to visit Granger again. Our sister in law and niece attended and so did another niece and her husband. We also had recently built a house and our builder and his wife had been attending Granger for a few years. So we drive up and realize how much it had changed. We navigate our way around and get our children into their rooms - then sit down for the service. If it were possible I would say we were blown out of our seats. We felt connected. So over the next few weeks we attended off and on - while continuing to remain at our "home" church. I remember saying more than once -- wow everyone is so friendly - you can tell they are serving according to their gifts! When wondering about my son's allergies again - they directed us to the guest service kiosk and connected us with the director of childrens ministry who had us fill out a card so that his tag would be printed with his allergy info -- it was about us and how to make us comfortable. Then one time I dropped off my clingy, crying daughter and the teacher said -- are you okay - are you comfortable -- It was about me - the guest-- she wanted me to get to the service!

As a guest I experienced what they had to offer on the deepest level - I felt needed and cared for - I felt like I mattered! Who would have known that fast forward and this would be where we call home! I had the opportunity to "experience Granger" and know that I matter to them. Now I have the ability to offer this to new "guests" to show them they matter to Granger and they matter to God!

Mark describes in his book the details and the thought process that surround the First Impressions team. By reading this book, I was able to solidify my "feelings" from being a "guest" into my desires and responsibilities of being a member. It feels great to take my next step towards Christ!

No comments: