Wednesday, February 13, 2008

generational stuff

So yesterday Exodus 34:7 got me thinking again - what's new?! I remember first reading this passage at my thursday bible study MOTTTS about 4 years ago and it really got to me. Here is the verse:
I lavish unfailing love to a thousand generations.
I forgive iniquity, rebellion and sin.
But I do not excuse the guilty.
I lay the sins of the parents upon their children and grandchildren;
the entire family is affected -
even children in the third and fourth generations.
Here's what went through my head that I will share with you - mostly questions not answers :)
  • how many years is a generation? we aren't even a thousand generations from jesus's birth are we?
  • thank goodness he forgives rebellion and sin - will I recognize all my sin and have the strength to confess it?
  • what am I reaping leftover from my parents, grandparents, great grandparents, and great great grandparents?
  • what can I change in this generation in order to break that generational sin pattern or cycle?
  • what about my husband's parents, grandparents, etc.
  • can we recognize all this -- get it out into the light - talk about it and go a different direction?
  • do I realize the responsibility I have? -- what I choose to sow my children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and great great grandchilren will reap! That's probably 200 years from now by the time my great great grandchildren are fully grown.

What are your thoughts? Do you care to share?

No comments: